|D-Type||British Racing Green|
|Open Two Seater||Red|
|Right Hand Drive|
|Jaguar Cars, Limited|
|6 December 1957|
|E4006-9||1 January 1951|
|1 January 1951||United Kingdom|
35 more photos below ↓
Record Creation: Entered on 29 March 2022.
Database Updates: Show dataplate edits
Last long-nose 1956 works car. Car was to have been raced at Le Mans but was damaged by Titterington in practice. Repaired at works.
In November the car was delivered to Ecurie Ecosse with 3.4 carburetor engine (E4004-9), painted metallic blue and registered RSF 301.
In 1957, raced at Buenos Aires, Argentina by Flockhart/Galvez where it was crashed by Flockhart. Rebuilt at works with new frame and bonnet.
Works prepared for Le Mans, with 3.8 petrol injection engine and 2.69/1 rear axle. Racing as number 3 with Bueb/Flockhart driving, it finished 1st.
Other 1957 results include Monzanapolis (Lawrence), 5th; Kristiansand (Lawrence/Scott-Brown), retired; Spa (Fairman) unplaced. In 1958: Aintree (Bueb) 4th; Spa (Bueb); Charterhall (Flockhart) 1st and 2nd. In 1960: Silverstone (Flockhart) unplaced.
In 1960, either this car or XKD 603 was taken to Le Mans--Whyte states in text that it was 603 and in Appendix that it was 606, while David Murray states in his book that the 1960 car had done five Le Mans, which suggests it must be 603. However, car 1960 Le Mans car carried registration RSF 301 which may suggest that it was XKD 606. Graham Gauld in his The Story of Ecurie Ecosse states it was 606.
In 1961 the car was sold to Jack Wober (Glasgow). Sold to Richard Wrottesley. Crashed heavily at Silverstone in 1962 and the tub was re-skinned over original skin. In 1963 it was sold to John Coundley and was rebuilt. Later it was sold to Pierre Bardinon (France).
In 1975 stated to be owned by Moët et Chandon (or member of Chandon family). In early 1980s it was sold to Victor Gauntlett. Lynx fitted 1957-style sliding-throttle petrol injection. In mid-1980s sold to JacQues Setton (France).
In 1992 the car was sold to Mr. Louwman of Dutch National Motor Museum (Raamsdonksveer, Holland). In 1994 car was restored by Prowess Racing and was in the care of Robert Brooks (UK).
Photos of XKD606
Click slide for larger image. This car has 36 photos. (Dates are when image was uploaded.)
Exterior Photos (22)
Uploaded March 2022:
Uploaded February 2021:
Uploaded July 2014:
Uploaded February 2013:
Uploaded January 2012:
Uploaded September 2011:
Uploaded October 2008:
Interior Photos (3)
Action Photos (4)
Details Photos: Exterior (3)
Detail Photos: Engine (3)
Detail Photos: Other (1)
We now require an email address to leave a comment. Your IP will be recorded in an effort to reduce spam. (Report problem posts here.)
2009-04-13 19:25:29 | pauls writes:
The car is mentioned in the book "Jaguar D Type & XKSS" by Graham Robson, pictured with Scottish trade registration 376 SG.
2009-04-13 20:23:20 | pauls writes:
Also pictured in the above book pg 111 with "weird" modifications required by Le Mans in '60. A raised windshield, luggage space and hood.
2009-04-13 20:57:06 | pauls writes:
One of "works team cars '56 "XKD601-XKD606. All with full width appendix C screens and anti roll bar. All these cars are mechanically similar to '55 works car, some had fuel injection. XKD603 and 606 sold to Ecurie Ecosse for '57 to be semi works team cars along with '55, XKD504.
2014-07-27 16:59:35 | pauls writes:
24 Heures du Mans 23.6.1957, Driven by: Ivor Bueb (GB)/Ron Flockhart (GB) Result: winner.
2014-11-29 11:54:05 | Ron writes:
Can you update the owners to the current owners - I think I am aware of where this car is now and would like to own it
2014-12-01 16:02:52 | Anonymous writes:
You will have a hard time convincing the current owner to sel the car. It is a prised position and part of the prestigious Lowman Collection.
2022-03-29 11:12:51 | pauls writes:
As stated above the car is now in the museum.
In 1957 Jaguar drove to victory with this D-TYpe XKD 606 at Le Mans.
Jaguar dominated Le Mans in the 1950s, winning in 1951, 1953, 1955 and 1956, first with the C-types (the first car with disc brakes to win Le Mans) and then with the D-types. Jaguar withdrew from racing at the end of 1956 as the factory wanted to concentrate on its production cars.
Yet five D-types appeared for the 1957 race, all privately entered. The private team Ecurie Ecosse based in Scotland participated with two ‘dated’ factory Ds. This XKD 606 was crewed by Flockhart and Bueb, and the second car was driven by Lawrence and Sanderson.
Flockhart/Bueb took the lead after three hours and held onto it. The predominantly experimental Ferraris and Maseratis with drivers such as Moss and Fangio dropped out one by one, and Flockhart and Bueb’s Jaguar drove to victory with a nine-lap lead on the number two car, the Lawrence/Sanderson D-type. The other D-types took third, fourth and sixth places. The XKD 606 had achieved a hattrick for Jaguar in 1957, with three consecutive Le Mans wins. The car covered a record 4,397 kilometres at an average speed of 183 km/h, a record which remained unbroken for four years.
After Le Mans, the discarded D-type ended up in the club racing scene. Finally, following a crash, the car was split in two: the body and rear-wheel suspension, and the front sub-frame and engine. Both halves were then completed with replica parts, forming two separate, ‘original’ cars.
The Louwman Museum managed to acquire both cars, and following a lengthy and historically accurate restoration project the original components were reunited, returning the car to the condition it was in when it was so successful in 1957.